I have been dreaming of what being a stay-at-home mom would be like for 4 years. After working and running a business for over 12 years, we made the transition last week into a new life for our little family. I have only been at home a week now and I can tell you, it’s everything I thought it would be and more. Here are some of the things I am loving about this new chapter;
1. Slow mornings. I never thought I was a morning person but It’s growing on me. Seeing those sweet little sleepy eyes and getting lots of snuggles without having to rush is priceless. The house is quiet and peaceful and um…kind of clean. I use to say “hurry up boys” about 10 times a morning. This week I haven’t said it one time.
2. Teaching! Teaching preschoolers has always been my strength and passion. While I loved being a director, I often missed the simplicity of running a classroom. What a joy it has been to teach my own children. To see their faces light up. To hear my oldest say “look mom, I did it, I finally made a perfect B for Brody.” To going on shape scavenger hunts with my youngest. They seem to be enjoying too. When they hear “school time” they run for their pencil boxes and supplies with anticipation.
3. Playing outside. No more sitting at a desk for me. It’s monster trucks, swing sets, and playing in the dirt. It’s hot as can be but I don’t mind. It feels good to break a sweat playing tag. It also feels good running through the water hose.
4. Kennedy. I get to play with this sweet little drop of sunshine a couple times a week. She has the happiest disposition and brings us so much joy. I think my boys love spending time with her just as much as me. My world is full of boys, baseball, dinosaurs, monster trucks, and a little girl time is a nice change.💝
5. Simplicity. This is probably my favorite. Instead of juggling several different tasks at a time, I only have two. Take care of my family and my home. While I am quickly learning this stay at home mommy stuff is no small task, it just feels simpler. Not easier by any means! My mind isn’t consumed with endless to-do list. It is consumed with the here and now and I am drinking in every simple little moment.
I am so thankful for all the little hearts that God has allowed me to influence over the years. Their precious faces and families will forever be a part of me. I love the quote, “The bad news is time flies – The good news is you’re the pilot.” Time does fly when you have children. And I don’t want to miss a moment. This pilot is going to slow down and focus on my sweet little boys. I know I am in the honeymoon faze, and there will be days ahead that will be trying but that’s okay. In just one short year my oldest will be in school, and I am sure I will never regret spending this last year with him before he is officially a big boy. And then my youngest will be right behind him. To pour all my love and attention into them will be a blessing. Being a mommy is the hardest most rewarding job I have ever had. I am so grateful for this new little adventure we are on. I have smiled and giggled more than I have in a long time. I am right were I need to be, I am home.